In India, McDonald's has two Indian entrepreneurs: Amit Jatia, Vice Chairman, Hardcastle Restaurants Pvt. Ltd, which has been awarded a Development Licensee status by McDonald's Corporation, U.S.A, spearheads McDonald's operations in West & South India, while McDonald's restaurants in North & East India is managed by Vikram Bakshi's Connaught Plaza Restaurants Private Limited, which is still a Joint Venture with McDonald's Corporation.
Milestones in McDonald's India Journey:
- Launch of First Restaurant - 1996
- Introduction of Happy Meals - 1997
- Introduction of Drive thru - Kalamboli outlet - 2001
- Launch of Delivery - Bandra Outlet in 2004
- Introduction of Happy Price Menu - 2004
- Introduction of Global Menu - McNuggets - 2009
- Introduction of Breakfast Menu - October 2010
- HRPL awarded Development Licensee - 2010
- Introduction of Global Menu - McSpicy April 2011
- Introduction of Global Menu - McFlurry October 2011
- Introduction of McValue Lunch Meals - January 2012
McDonald's selection process is very systematic and comprises of 3 stages
1. Aptitude Testing and Initial Interview after screening the applicants' resumes, the short-listed candidates are called for a psychometric evaluation [a written aptitude test] and initial interview. The aptitude test gives insights into the applicants' verbal reasoning and critical reasoning amongst other important aptitude measures.
2. On the Job Evaluation [OJE] Short-listed candidates undergo a 2-day OJE at a McDonald's restaurant, which provides the candidate with an opportunity to look at McDonald's as a potential employer. It also gives McDonald's a chance to observe and assess the candidate's performance.
3. Final Interview: All candidates who attend the OJE are called for the final interview. This is where the final and overall assessment of the candidate takes place and selection decisions are made.