MBA News | MBA Jobs | MBA Students | MBA Aspirants | MBA Forums
--- CoolAvenues.Com ---
Home    |     MBA Jobs     |     Knowledge Zone     |     Seminars     |     Placement Report     |     Admission Alert      |   MBA Forums
CAT/ MAT/ XAT/ JMET    | CAT 2009    |   Executive MBA    |   GMAT    |   Help Line    |   Online MBA Help   |   Buy/Sell    |   Cafe   |   Gadgets  

Go Back   MBA Forums :: CoolAvenues.com > GMAT Board : all about GMAT and doing MBA abroad > GMAT & MBA abroad Help Line!

Old 06-02-2004   #1
SAMRAT
Rookie

Send a message via MSN to SAMRAT
Default IIM thru GMAT

Hi,

I have not yet come across anyone yet who has gone thru the GMAT route (for NRI's) to enter the IIM's.

I am a B.Com. grad from U of Delhi (1999 batch) and have been working in Toronto, Canada since Sep 2000 in the Mutual Funds Administration Business. I do have some experience in Finance in India, although for a short period.

Can you please advise, if i do go thru the GMAT route, what are my chances. Ideally i would like to pursue any of the big 4 IIM's or ISB as i am looking at a premier school. Also, my B.Com. marks are nothing to write home about so i dont know if that may pose a big problem. On the bright side, i do have almost 4 years of international experience.

What are you suggestions? Appreciate an early response.

Cheers!
Sam.
SAMRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004   #2
deepblue
Super Moderator

Default IIM thru GMAt

well i have come across 2-3 NRIs who have taken GMAT route to get into IIMs, so you can use that

But you need to have a GMAT score of 650 plus and should have adequate stay abroad. you can try IIML for this, it takes quite a big chunk every year

so IIML can be better bet
Old 06-03-2004   #3
SAMRAT
Rookie

Default IIM thru GMAT

Thanks for your reply. I have been living in Canada for 4 years now so that should not be a problem. Is there anyway i can contact these NRI students that have taken the GMAT route so that i can get some understanding about the application process.

Also, how important will my b.com. marks be in determining admission. I hope to get a decent GMAT score (700 or above hopefully)

Cheers!
Sam.
Old 06-03-2004   #4
deepblue
Super Moderator

Default GMAT for IIMs

well contacting those alumi looks difficult ]

however try to go to www.iiml.ac.in to find out info about it or get in touch with Dean Admission of IIML

hope tht might be of help
Old 06-04-2004   #5
CoolAvenues GMAT Help
CoolAvenues Mentors

Default GMAT @ Indian B Schools

Hey,

All the IIMs and XLRI have a quota for Non Resident Students every year. However, it is important to prove your inability to take the CAT e.g. extended stay overseas. ISB on the other hand only accepts the GMAT, so you are safe.

Applications to each of the institutions must be made independently and fees paid in US$ (extremely low when compared to fees at international schools).

The best way to contact any of the NRI students at such schools is to write to them and ask for details of their NRI students. Alternatively, if you are able to establish contact with a resident Indian student at these schools, he/she should be able to guide you to international students at their schools. Current students, I find are the most helpful in such students.

While at the IIMs, you can also add a term at one of the other leading global business schools on exchange as many of them have exchange agreements with top US/European B Schools.

Hope this answers your query.

Wish you the very best in your academic endeavours.

Atul Monga
CoolAvenues GMAT Help is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004   #6
SAMRAT
Rookie

Thanks for your reply Atul. I have already written to all 4 IIM's asking for contact infor of any NRI/Foreign national students. Hopefully i get a response.

Cheers!
Sam.
Old 06-12-2004   #7
smiley85
Rookie

Default IIM & GMAT

Hey!

Even I was wondering about GMAT. I checked through IIMs website and they don't seem to have consistent information.

IIMA requires a overseas candidate to have a GD and Interview in person in India whereas IIMC only asks for letters of reccomendation and statement of purpose.

Would appreciate if anyone from IIM could clarify this issue.

Thanks
smiley85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004   #8
SAMRAT
Rookie

Hi Smiley,

I noticed the same thing. Except IIMA, all other IIM's donot mention anything about GD/PI....

Can anyone comment on this?

Cheers!
Old 09-15-2004   #9
mmangaonkar
Rookie

Default Re: GMAT scores

Hey,

I was reading up the discussion, and was interested in the GMAT option.
Any leads on the NRI students info.?

Cheers,
Mahesh
mmangaonkar is offline   Reply With Quote