Defining Stability: Corporate world (Paradigm Shift)
I cannot take forward your resume; there have been too many job changes!!!
The candidate looks like a job hopper, cannot take this forward…. Have you ever witnessed any such remarks during your selection process for a new job? Let us try and unveil the illusionary job stability concept.
Define Stability: Someone who has stayed in the same job in today’s scenario for 4 yrs+? Is that what we define as Stability? Ever asked yourself why would my employees leave?
WE HR folks need to press our RESET buttons and understand the resume, speak to the candidate if it is found befitting and do a due diligence on the Market status of those organizations vs the competency and capability the candidate brings across, instead we ensure that resume is the only document that can help us pass a judgement on the candidate.
What could be the typical reasons for an employee to move on?
1. Lack of Career Growth in the current Company.
2. Taking care of domestic demands, death/extended illness in immediate family, etc.
3. Moving because of spouse's job, desire to travel, climate, family, etc.
4. Continually seeking more satisfaction in the workplace
5. Experiencing different jobs to determine where true interests lie.
6. Working in positions that were only temporary (internships, summer jobs, campaign work, etc.)
7. Companies are unable to retain employees because of their culture and environment.
8. Employees leave the organization due to politics and fighting personal vendetta practiced by powerful management employees.
Ever wondered, if we get responses in line to point 1, 4, 5, 7, we tend to quickly refuse a candidature, failing to understand that the problem area is the company employees and not the candidate himself/herself. Very few interviews are Selection processes where interviewers would sit with an open mind to look at how well employees can contribute; most of them are looking out for a reason to eliminate you from the selection process. Any red flags that indicate you are the problem and will not last long at the company, and they would not want to hire you.
Let us as a corporate fraternity, revisit our thoughts, to ensure we do not lose out on a strong candidate only on the behest of them moving quickly, unless they are not able to support their moves! Hire them for talent! And groom them! Before you as an interviewer Ask questions on why a person moved out of a company, ask this question to yourself, what made you move out, and what is making you stay in a company!!!
Try hiring with a change!
- Start-up Challenges: Recruitment
0 Comments - 3 years 6 weeks ago
- What’s HCL Technology’s problem with new hires?
0 Comments - 3 weeks 2 days ago
- Applying for jobs. Are you including photo with
0 Comments - 6 weeks 2 days ago
- ESMT to offer increased one-on-one career coaching
0 Comments - 7 weeks 6 days ago
CRISIL, FLIP join hands to promote financial0 comments - 13 hours 46 min ago
ESMT to confer Mario Draghi with Responsible0 comments - 18 hours 19 min ago
ESMT ranks 20 in Financial Times Executive0 comments - 2 days 11 hours ago
Indian teenager makes it to prestigious Thiel0 comments - 2 days 15 hours ago