IIM Shillong Workshop for Educators on Open Source Technology for Education
This workshop is targeted to educators at secondary, higher secondary, graduation and post-graduation levels. You will find this workshop valuable if
- You are heading an educational institute and want to take strategic steps to keep your institute ahead of the rest and follow the next-practices, or
- You are an educator who face the students in class and would like to make a difference in your pedagogy, or
- You are an official in charge of education in your area and you want to bring in a change
Program Coordinator: Dr. Basav Roychoudhury
To cover the cost of the workshop, a nominal registration fee of Rs 2,500/- will have to be paid to confirm your participation.
Venue and Timing: Mayurbhanj Complex, Nongthymmai, Shillong - 793014
May 29, 2012, 10:00 am to 5:00 pm
IIM Shillong announces a unique one day workshop on use of technology in education. IIM Shillong has been experimenting on various technology assisted pedagogical approaches for past few years, and this workshop would be a platform to share the knowledge gathered through these experiments.
Why should you attend?
No one denies the fact that education can be imparted without technology. After all, most of us grew up in institutes where only technology was the chalk, board and the oft-missing duster. So why should we suddenly make a change in the age old pedagogy?
When most of us went to study at our respective institutes, we were living in a society with limited use of technology. However, the world has changed. Sir Ken Robinson, in his talk on 'Changing Education Paradigms' says, '...The problem is they are trying to meet the future by doing what they did in the past. And on the way they are alienating millions of kids who don't see any purpose in going to school. When we went to school we were kept there with the story, which is if you worked hard and did well and got a college degree you'd have a job. Our kids don't believe that and they are right not to...'
While he talks of schools, this is true for most of the educational institutions across the country
whether it is imparting education at secondary, higher secondary, graduate or post-graduate level.
Technology has provided us with a platform to make our pedagogy learner oriented with the teacher becoming a facilitator in the process. Are you ready to take the plunge?
If you are still looking for a reason to take this plunge, here are some (non-exhaustive):
1. Expansion of time and space for learning: anywhere, anytime learning
2. Depth of understanding: your students can now have different perspectives of topics that you teach, and you can provide them with tons of interesting course materials available freely over
3. From teacher-centric to learner-centric: you can allow the students to learn on their own even
when you are not around
4. New media new enthusiasm: allow your students to use the same technologies in class which
they are otherwise glued to (read Facebook, chatting, blogging,)
5. Collaboration: Allow your students to learn together in teams while you monitor each ones
6. Go Global: Why limit yourself within the boundary of your institute? Allow others to speak to
your students while you speak to others.
With every institute getting into computers, with many institutes having broadband connectivity, with a rising number of students having access devices; should you wait any longer?
The world is not the same as it was 15, 10, 5, even 1 year ago. This is a fact. It is our job as educators to prepare our students to succeed in the world as it is (and will be) as best as we can. This is another fact.
With the world undergoing metamorphosis aided by technology, wouldnt it be better to include
technology in education?
Just purchasing technology is not enough it is all about how we educators are using it for facilitating learning of our learners. This is where the workshop will throw light on. The final icing on the cake the workshop will talk only of open-source technologies if you have the physical computing infrastructure you can start immediately no license fees, no proprietary products.
To get Weekly Seminar alert of Top B-schools